Dr. Carol L. Phillips, DDS
“My personal goal is to develop a long-range plan with you. Let’s look a few years ahead to evaluate how you want to look and feel about your teeth and their influence on your self-confidence, health, and over-all presentation. That will require that you and I, along with our Swiss team co-discover both your needs and wants. Then we can educate you on your options so that you can make your best choice.”
– Dr. Carol L. Phillips
Get to know Dr. Phillips
Before being educated and trained as a dentist, Dr. Phillips received her BS degree from UCLA School of Public Health in Nutritional Science and spent five years as a dietary consultant. She directly recognizes the value of correct dental function as it pertains to chewing, diet and total health. Dr. Phillips graduated from Loma Linda University School of Dentistry in 1975. She started coming to San Luis Obispo in 1978 pursuing her interest in Arabian horses. She is an avid rider and former breeder. Following graduation, Dr. Phillips continued studying implant dentistry and began placing implants in her own private practice. In 1984 she decided to make San Luis Obispo her home and the Swiss Dental Center was born.
Dr. Phillips believes in Swiss techniques for replacing teeth and developing characteristic smiles. Each patient interacts with us to combine their personal and family characteristics with the sound principles of harmony and ‘golden proportions’ found in nature, mathematics and art.
Dr. Phillips has designed and manufactured a complete Rootform® Implant system which is FDA approved and also designs and places custom implants for patients with special needs.
Special Areas of Accomplishment
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral Implantology. Board certified since 1993 (1 of 595), 2nd woman to attain certification, 1st on the Central Coast (ABOI.org)
- Honored Fellow of American Academy of Implant Dentistry (chosen by peers for excellence)
- Lifetime Achievement Award, 2018 (nominated by the Western District of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry)
- Graduate program training in dental reconstruction at Lee Institute
- CA license in Sedation (1 of 356)
- FDA approved implant manufacturer
- Past Board of Examiners for AAID (9 years)
- Board of Examiners ABOI (1 year)
- Thousands of dental implants placed
- 1,000+ full-mouth dental patients completed
- All-on-Four trained (1 of 70 in US)
- B.S. degree in Nutritional Science at UCLA
She and Les, her husband of fifty-three years, have two grown sons, a commercial pilot and a film editor. She and Les share a love of motor sports, cycling, Arabian Horses and their two grandsons – Corbin and Alden. As avid cyclists, they attend the Amgen Tour every year.
She enjoys many creative outlets – drawing, photography, cooking, playing the piano and continuing to grow in her knowledge and application of the latest innovations in implant dentistry. She is a passionate student and instructor – after 30 plus years of dentistry she continues to commit a large portion of her time to the latest research and development in her field.